AAT Appeal & MIU FAQ’s
1. Merit Review Tribunal (MRT) Changes:
As of the 1st July 2015, Migration Review Tribunal (“MRT”), Refugee Review Tribunal (“RRT”) and the Social Security Appeals Tribunal (“SSAT”) have being amalgamated with the Administrative Appeals Tribunal (“AAT”).
2. When do I lodge a review application with the AAT?
If the Department notifies you in a decision letter that:
- you have been refused the grant of a visa or;
- your visa has been cancelled and;
- the letter states that you are eligible for a merits review of the decision by the AAT
Applicants should act quickly if you wish to apply for review of the decision. This is because there is a time limit by when the application must be lodged for it to be reviewed by the AAT.
The AAT cannot extend the date by when you must apply to the AAT for a review of that decision. You must complete the relevant form and pay any applicable application fee within the time limit.