Child Visa Applications

A child born in Australia with at least one Australian Citizen or Australian permanent resident parent, are automatically granted Australia citizenship and do not require a visa to travel and live in Australia. However, if a child does not meet the requirements for automatic citizenship, a parent who is an Australian Citizen, Australian Permanent Resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen, can sponsor their child to live in Australia as a permanent resident on a Child Visa application (subclass 101). The child must be outside Australia for the lodgement of the application and also the visa grant.

As this is a permanent resident visa, child visa holders are able to live, work and study in Australia indefinitely. The visa holder is eligible to enrol in Medicare and can apply to be an Australian citizen, when eligible.

To be eligible for this visa application a child must be sponsored by their parent or their parent’s partner, be single and younger than 18 years of age. A child over the 18 years may still be eligible if they are a full time student between the ages of 18 and 25 years or are dependent on the sponsoring parent as they are unable to work due to a disability.

For the purposes of this visa, a child can be the biological child or stepchild or the sponsoring parent. An adopted child may be eligible under this visa if the parent became an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen after they adopted the child.

Any child over the age of 16, may be required to meet character requirements for their child visa application. This may include obtaining police checks from any country that the child has lived in for 12 months or more.

The child will also have to meet health requirements including a medical examination.

Parental Responsibility

This child visa application must be in the best interests of the child. To be granted the visa, parents need to evidence at least one of the following; written consent of each person who can legally decide where the child lives, the laws of the child’s home country allow the removal of the child or that it the grant of the visa is consistent with any Australian child order.

An assurance of support might be requested to ensure that the parent is able to financially support the child.