Skip links


immigration solutions lawyers
Partner Visa Application can be separated into two pathways depending on whether the visa process was initiated onshore or offshore.

Immigration Solutions Lawyers are Australia’s leading Partner Visa specialists, with both Onshore Partner Visas and Offshore Partner Visa applications expertly processed. 

The most common Partner Visa is the onshore partner visa where the immigration applicant can be onshore throughout the entirety of the visa application. The process begins with the temporary Partner visa (subclass 820) and is the first stage towards a permanent partner visa (subclass 801). The offshore partner visa application acts as a transitional visa from the provisional partner visa (subclass 309) to the permanent partner visa (subclass 100). 

820 Partner Visa Application and 801 Partner Visa Application Process

The Australian Government Department of Home Affairs states that to be eligible for a temporary subclass 820 and permanent 801 visa the applicant and sponsor must be able to show the Department of Immigration and Border Protection that they are in a genuine and ongoing relationship, consenting freely to the relationship and to the exclusion of all others. 

The 820 and 801 visa application process requires that the applicant is the spouse or de facto partner of an Australian citizen, Australian permanent resident or eligible New Zealand Citizen. The applicant and sponsor must be in Australia when they apply and when the visa is decided. 

For married applicants, the marriage must be valid under Australian Law. Underage and polygamous marriages are not legal or valid in Australia. Same sex couples can apply for this partner visa as a de facto applicant.  

For de facto applicants, the Department generally requires the de facto relationship to have existed for 12 months prior to lodging the application. There are however some circumstances where the visa may be lodged prior to the 12-month criteria including if there are compelling and compassionate circumstances that warrant the visa being granted or the de facto relationship has been registered. 

Partner Visa Application Eligibility Criteria

To be eligible for the 820 and 801 visas, the applicants are also required to meet certain health and character requirements, including partaking in a health exam and providing police clearances from other countries lived in and signing an Australian Values Statement. 

The lodgement process for both the temporary and permanent visas occurs at the same time, however they are processed in two stages, two years apart. An applicant is eligible to lodge the 801 (Permanent Visa) two years after the lodgement of the 820. The subclass 820 visa allow the applicant to stay, work and study in Australia until a decision has been made on the permanent subclass 801 visa. It also allows the applicant to enrol in Medicare, Australia’s health care scheme. Dependent children can be included in the application (child visa applications) but other independent relatives are not eligible for inclusion. 

The subclass 801 visa allows the applicant to stay in Australia indefinitely. Permanent residency also allows the holder to work and study unrestricted, as well as apply for citizenship when eligible. Permanent 801 visas also include a travel facility, allowing travel to and from Australia for five years from the date the visa was granted. 

For the subclass 801 visa to be processed, the relationship must continue to meet all criteria, including that the relationship is genuine and ongoing. In some exceptional circumstances the visa can be granted where your partner relationship has ended including when there is a child of the relationship, the sponsor dies or the application has suffered family violence perpetrated by the sponsor. 

309 & 100 Partner Visa Application Process

The provisional partner subclass 309 and migrant partner subclass 100, is the same as the 820/801 application process except the applicant is required to be outside Australia at the time of application and until the subclass 309 is granted. The applicant can be onshore or offshore when the subclass 100 visa is granted. 

Our Latest Cases

Frequently asked questions


Don't find your question here?
Call us at 1300 428 472

To apply for the Resident Return (subclass 155) Visa, you are required to spend a total of at least 2 years in the last 5 years in Australia as a permanent resident. 

If you have not, you must provide documents that show that you have substantial ties to Australia. These can be business, cultural, employment or personal ties. 

Invest in your future.
Request a call back for a consultation.

    Your name

    Phone number

    Email address

    Visa Class

    Or call us 1300 428 472

    This website uses cookies to improve your web experience.