Resident Return Visa Application

Are you a current or former Australian Permanent Resident with an expired or expiring travel period? A successful Resident Return Visa Application allows you to travel abroad and maintain your permanent residence status on your return to Australia. Similarly, if you are a former Australian Citizen, the Resident Return Visa allows you to return to Australia as a Permanent Resident.

Immigration Solution Lawyers is one of the leading immigration law firms in Australia and can assist you with your Resident Return Visa Application(subclass 155 and 157).

Australian Citizens are the only people who have automatic right of entry to Australia. All other persons are required to hold a visa, including Australian Permanent Residents. Permanent Residents can remain in Australia indefinitely, however if they wish to travel they must ensure that they have a valid travel facility attached to their visa. If a Permanent Resident chooses to travel without a valid travel facility, they run the risk of losing their Permanent Residency status.

Resident Return Visa Application

Resident Return Visas (RRV) are designed for current Australian Permanent Residents who wish to travel overseas whilst maintaining their Australian Permanent Resident status. The RRV’s also allow former Australian Permanent Residents and former Australian citizens (who have lost or renounced their Australian citizenship) an opportunity to return to Australia and regain permanent resident status. Applications can be submitted onshore or offshore, however if an Applicant applies offshore, they must be offshore when a decision is made.

There are two main subclasses of Resident Return Visas being the subclass 155 and the subclass 157. Each visa subclass is distinguished by relevant criteria, and in turn determines the length of the travel facility granted. A Resident Return Visa can provide a 5 year, one year or 3 month travel facility from the date of grant, allowing travel within that period only. Once the visa expires, a new Resident Return Visa application will need to be granted prior to travelling.

RRV Subclass 155

There is certain criteria which must be satisfied at the time a person makes an application for an RRV. This criteria includes, but is not limited to, an eligible applicant (Australian Permanent Resident, former Permanent Resident or former citizen) showing that they have spent a period of at least two years in the last five years in Australia, or who can at least show that they have substantial ties of benefit to Australia if they have not been absent from Australia for more than 5 years. Substantial ties of benefit to Australia can be displayed through business ties, cultural ties, employment ties or personal ties. If an Applicant has spent more than 5 years outside Australia, compelling reasons for absence must be provided.

For RRV Applicants who have been present in Australian for at least 2 years in the last 5 years, a grant of an RRV would likely come with a 5 year travel facility. For Applicants who have only been able to establish substantial ties to Australia, they would likely receive an RRV with a travel facility of 1 year from the date of grant. Finally, if a person is granted an RRV as they are a member of a family unit of a person granted a RRV subclass 155, they may be granted an RRV of one year or less.

RRV Subclass 157

Criteria which must be satisfied at the time of application for the subclass 157 RRV, requests the Applicant to have been lawfully present in Australia for at least a period between 1 day and 3 years, within the last 5 years before the application is made.

For RRV subclass 157 applicants who are granted a RRV, they will likely have a travel facility of 3 months from the date of grant.

Call Today For More Information

Please feel free to read about some of our successful resident return visa cases.  Call Immigration Solutions Lawyers today on 1300 428 472 regarding your Resident Return Visa Application.

Resident Return Visa Application FAQ’s

  • 1. Is there an amount of time that I must have spent living in Australia as a permanent resident or Citizen?

    To apply for the Resident Return (subclass 155) Visa, you are required to spend a total of at least 2 years in the last 5 years in Australia as a permanent resident.

    If you have not, you must provide documents that show that you have substantial ties to Australia. These can be business, cultural, employment or personal ties.

  • 2. If I am granted a Resident Return (subclass 155) Visa, how long is my travel facility?

    If you have been granted a Resident Visa (subclass 155), your will have a 5 year travel facility from the date of grant.

    If you have been granted a Resident Visa (subclass 155) reliant on your substantial ties with Australia, your travel facility will be for 1 year from the date of the grant.

  • 3. Do I have to be in Australia to apply for the Resident Return Visa?

    No, however there is different criteria for those apply inside Australia compared to those who apply outside Australia.

    For further information, please contact Immigration Solutions Lawyers for assistance.

  • 4. What if I have been living away for Australia for a continuous period of more than 5 years?

    Firstly, you must have held Australian Permanent Residency or Australian Citizenship (which has been lost or renounced) within the last 10 years before application.

    If you have held an Australian Permanent Residency or Australian Citizenship (which has been lost or renounced) within 10 years and have been living away from Australia for a continuous period of more than 5 years there is additional criteria that you must provide for in your application:

    • Substantial ties to Australia. Can be business, cultural, employment or personal ties.
    • Compelling reasons for your absence from Australia for more than 5 years.
  • 5. My family member has a subclass 155 visa that is still in effect, can I get a subclass 155 visa?

    Yes, if the family member’s visa will be in effect for 1 years or less, a visa can be granted permitting travel for the remaining period of effect of your family member’s visa. If the family member’s visa will be in effect for more than 1 year, a visa can be granted permitting travel for 1 year from the date of grant.