Temporary Graduate Visa Application

The temporary graduate subclass 485 visa, allows recent international graduates the opportunity to live, study and work in Australian after they have finished their studies.

To be eligible for the Temporary Graduate Visa, applicants must; be under the age of 50, be in Australia on an eligible visa, meet the Australia study and English language requirements and have recently graduated from an eligible qualification that relates to an occupation on the Australian Skilled Occupation List (SOL).

You can be onshore or offshore during the application process and when the visa is granted. If an applicant has applied onshore, it is important that they remain lawful whilst in Australian and obtain a bridging visa. Applicants may choose to apply for a bridging visa B to allow travel outside Australia while the application is being processed.

There are two streams of the subclass 485 visa; the Graduate Work Stream and the Post-Study Work stream.

Graduate Work Stream

This stream is designed for international students who have completed a qualification that relates to an occupation on the Skilled Occupation List (SOL). This visa is granted for 18 months.

To be eligible for this stream, the qualification must have been obtained as a result of studying a Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS) registered course. The degree, diploma or trade qualification studied at a CRICOS must closely related to your nominated skilled occupation.

The applicant will also be required to complete a skills assessment to ensure that your skills are suitable for the nominated occupation.

Post-Study Work Stream

The Post-Study Work stream is available for students who were granted their first student visa on or after 5 November 2011 and can be granted for two to four years, depending on the level of qualification (bachelor degree – masters).

The qualification needs to be completed at an Australian education provider that is registered on the Commonwealth Register of Courses and Institutions for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and that provider offers courses at degree level and above.

Eligible Visa’s

To be eligible to apply for the subclass 485 visa, the applicant must be holding a student visa or if the applicant has held a student visa within the past six months, they will also be eligible if they are holding a bridging visa ‘A’, bridging visa ‘B’ or other substantive visa.

English Language Requirement

To receive a Temporary Graduate Visa, applicants must be able to meet minimum requirements for speaking, writing and understanding English. Generally, all applicants from non-English speaking countries are required to complete a test to determine level of English language proficiency. There are a number of different test that an applicant can complete.

Some applicants may be exempt from completing the English language proficiency testing.
This includes applicants from Canada, New Zealand, the Republic of Ireland, the United Kingdom or the United States.

The Australian Study Requirement

To be eligible to apply for the temporary graduate visa, applicants must have completed at least one degree, diploma or trade qualification within the previous six months.

Other Requirements

Health: Health examinations may be required to satisfy the health component. Visa holders are required to have adequate health insurance unless you are covered by Medicare. The health insurance must cover any members of family included on the visa.

You must hold adequate health insurance, unless the applicant’s country of citizenship has a reciprocal health care agreement with Australia.

Character: To meet the character requirements for the Temporary Graduate Visa, the applicant will be required to provide an Australian Federal Police clearance that has been completed within the previous 12 months. The DIBP may also request police clearances from every country that the applicant has lived in for 12 months or more during the previous 10 years.

Debt: The applicant must have no outstanding debt to the Australian government. If the applicant is indebted to the government, this must be paid or payment plans must be in place prior to the visa being granted.